[Taxacom] Why stability?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Apr 30 16:57:27 CDT 2015

Hi Stephen,

I'm very confused about your statements on this thread. This issue is not
about "basing specimen identifications on publications", as you seem to keep
coming back to.  This thread is about more explicitly representing taxon
names in the context of a taxon concept.  Specimen identifications are
certainly one aspect of taxonomy where this practice is valuable, but it
applies more generally to *any* references to taxon names.

Let's start with your example of Homo sapiens.  Yes Linnaeus initially
established the name, and when he did so he had in mind a taxonomic
circumscription of organisms to which he would apply that name to.  We could
make a citation to "Homo sapiens Linnaeus 1758 sensu Linneaus 1758"; but as
you say his description was wanting; and indeed, his circumscription may not
perfectly coincide with the concept of "Homo sapiens" that a modern
taxonomist would like to refer to (e.g., many more species of Homo and
related genera were established from fossil material after Linnaeus, so it's
not clear which of these Linnaeus would have included in his
circumscription).  So, you could certainly refer to "Homo sapiens Linnaeus
1758 sensu Linneaus 1758"; but I doubt most modern researchers would do so.

Instead, a better citation might be something like "Homo sapiens Linnaeus
1758 sensu Wilson & Reeder 2005".  This circumscription included a number of
synonyms within it (see:
http://vertebrates.si.edu/msw/mswcfapp/msw/taxon_browser.cfm?msw_id=1953),
which gives us a somewhat more precise idea of the set of organisms implied
by the name "Homo sapiens".

You also made reference to many species that need to be identified, but for
which only one or a few old taxonomic works are available.  I don't
disagree.  But I'm not sure what your point is about why this has any impact
on the practice of consistently citing "sensu" references.

Let's take the example of "Aus bus Smith 1850".  Let's suppose not a single
published work ever cited this name since its original description, in any
context whatsoever. Fair enough -- there are likely many such names out
there.

Now, in 2015, you come across a specimen in a Museum that you feel confident
is conspecific with the type specimen Smith 1850 assigned to the species
"Aus bus".  Are you saying that you might possibly have a different taxon
concept in mind than when Smith 1850 first established the name?  If so,
then what is this difference based on? Keep in mind that no one has ever
published any reference to this species since Smith's original publication.
Yet somehow you ae confident that the taxon concept that you wish to ascribe
to the name "Aus bus" is different from the concept implied by Smith in his
original 1850 publication.

I certainly agree this situation is possible (especially for taxonomists who
are actively working on a major revision of a group, and have looked at
thousands of specimens, etc.)  But I don't think it's quite as common a
situation as you make it out to be.  And even in these cases, there is
nothing stopping you from declaring it as "Aus bus Smith 1850 sensu Thorpe
2015".  There is no requirement that the information following the "sensu"
must be citation to a publication.  The purpose is just to anchor the name
to a particular usage of that name, to give some greater clarity for what
taxon concept is implied by that particular usage of the name.  Granted, it
makes a LOT more sense, to cite a publication, if and when one is available
-- because that means everyone has access to it (only a limited number of
people have access to the content inside Stephen Thorpe's brain...)

One more point -- in these cases where there have been few, if any
subsequent treatments of a particular name, the need to pin down a usage of
a name to one particular concept is much lower, because there is much less
potential confusion about what concept is implied.  The importance of the
"sensu" qualifier is increasingly important in cases where there ARE
multiple competing concepts for a name (some stricto, some lato, etc.). If
there are multiple competing concepts, then there are likely to be
publications attached to alternate circumscriptions.

So, it's sort of a nice self-correcting situation:  Cases with the fewest
options for citing as "sensu" also have the least need for it.

Aloha,
Rich

Even in
> botany this is true. Botanists here routinely identify exotic plants
growing in
> cultivation in gardens and parks, and there are often no modern taxonomic
> treatments of the species concerned. If one were to adopt a "sensu" or
"sec"
> system across the board, it would add greatly to complexity, while adding
little
> or nothing of any use. It might get a few more citations for a few more
> taxonomic publications, but that's about it, and I don't care about that.
What