[Taxacom] Why stability?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Apr 30 17:27:24 CDT 2015

Hi Rich,

I think your confusion may stem from not keeping in mind the dialectic context in which I made my comments. I was responding to others who had suggested that authors should always cite the publication used for the identification of any species that they mention. Basically, their motivation is probably merely to increase citation rates in taxonomy. My comment was intended to point out that, in a great many cases, identifications are not made using any specific publication, even identifications down to the species level. Many names do not have any well defined "taxonomic concepts" associated with them, but may nevertheless be names for distinctive species which are easily identified by direct comparison of specimens (given a bit of experience with the group). For something of an example, I'm sure you can recognise a giraffe if you see one, but you probably cannot point to any well defined "taxonomic concept" (or, if you can, you didn't rely on it to make
 the identification). In many cases, identifications may be based on a very complex set of things, including several publications and specimens examined, which would not be easy or even possible to spell out as "sensu ..." or "sec ..." Sometimes, for example, one does use a publication to identify a specimen, but the key may give a different result to the description, and both may give a different result to comparing a specimen with the illustrations in the publication. Identification is more of a "wholistic" thing, taking into account all available evidence. Also, your idea of citing something like "sensu Person who identified it for me" wouldn't count for citation metrics, so really isn't what this dialectic was originally about.

Cheers,

Stephen