[Taxacom] Why stability?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Apr 30 19:02:14 CDT 2015

Easy!

Gadira acerella Walker, 1866 sensu Hoare 2015

If Hoare had himself anchored his use of the name to a published treatment (e.g., Smith 1995), then you could have likewise trusted Hoare's anchoring, and you could have represented it as "Gadira acerella Walker, 1866 sensu Smith 1995".

It doesn't matter that you never consulted Smith 1995 in your identification, because as I and Guarav have pointed out (Guarav much more effectively than I did), we're not talking necessarily about what source you used to make the identification; we're talking about what taxon circumscription associated with that particular name you're referring to.

If you're not confident in Hoare's judgement in following Smith 1995, then you probably shouldn't be using Hoare as a source, and/or you probably should not be asserting identifications of specimens based on your consultation of that source.

Rich