[Taxacom] Why stability?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Apr 30 19:52:12 CDT 2015

I don't like this for the following reasons:

(1)One fairly minor reason I don't like it is that it might not represent Robert's opinion in 2015, even though the website was visited me in 2015. Websites don't update themselves, and tend to get updated rather infrequently. I would not want to attribute to Robert an opinion which he might no longer have!

(2)We don't know on what basis Robert identified the image. he may or may not have based it on a published treatment. We don't know!

(3)I still maintain that there may not in fact be any taxon circumscription associated with that particular name! The fact that it is up on a website is not the point here. The crucial point is that I made an ID by direct comparison to a single specimen (image). How do you get a circumscription from a single specimen? You can't!

(4)Your last para is misleading. I am confident in Robert's judgement, whatever it is based upon. It sounds a bit like you are telling me that I shouldn't be doing something! But I'm not! If I knew that Robert did ID his image using "Smith 1995", and I wasn't confident in either "Smith 1995" or Robert (or both), then I would not use either of them as sources for any IDs, at least not without clearly stating my reservations.

Stephen