[Taxacom] Why stability?

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:44:29 CDT 2015

Stephen, I really don´t want to get into the middle of this again but
as you like to go down rabbit´s warrens maybe I can throw you a torch.

" I was responding to others who had suggested that authors should
always cite the publication used for the identification of any species
that they mention. Basically, their motivation is probably merely to
increase citation rates in taxonomy."

No Stephen, that is your intrepretation. What I said was that in doing
so, revisionary work would get cited as well. Or did you not say (in
regards to Hoser mopping-up names) that species descriptions matter
not, but it is good taxonomic work that counts? I am guessing that is
because the brilliant redescriptions will allow others to identify
material.

"My comment was intended to point out that, in a great many cases,
identifications are not made using any specific publication, even
identifications down to the species level. Many names do not have any
well defined "taxonomic concepts" associated with them, but may
nevertheless be names for distinctive species which are easily
identified by direct comparison of specimens (given a bit of
experience with the group)."

This is appeal to authority as well as ignoring future needs. Your
experience came from literature and identified material (which was
either identified via comparison to type or literature or a previous
iteration). You are not a platonic entomologist that generates species
concepts through inward contemplation. If you can´t remember how you
acquired this "experience", then it is your choice to put whatever
complimentary information on the label you see fit. No additional
information would stand for "S. Thorpe´s opinion". Fair enough.
However, for the vastly larger army of individuals who do use
literature to identify material, citing the source is easily done and
helpful for others in the future when the ´Many names with no defined
"taxonomic concepts"´ are in the minority.

Jason