[Taxacom] Job in Evolutionary Biology at the University of British Columbia

Sarah Otto otto at zoology.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 1 17:09:39 CDT 2015

Faculty Position in Evolutionary Biology (Tier 2 Canada Research Chair)

The Department of Zoology at the University of British Columbia, in
Vancouver, Canada, invites applications for a faculty position in
Evolutionary Biology (Canada Research Chair Tier 2). We seek an outstanding
individual working with an innovative and integrative research program that
would extend and complement existing faculty strengths in evolutionary
biology and the Zoology Department. The position is tenure track and is
expected to be appointed at the rank of Assistant Professor, although a
higher rank might be considered for an applicant of exceptional
qualifications. Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree, postdoctoral
experience, and an exceptional research record with demonstrated potential
in establishing a successful research program, as well as demonstrated
potential for excellence in teaching at the graduate and undergraduate
level. The appointment will begin no earlier than July 1, 2016.

The successful applicant will become a full member of the Department of
Zoology and of the Biodiversity Research Centre, an outstanding group of
scientists studying evolution, ecology, systematics, and genetics. The
Centre provides exceptional opportunities to contribute to an interactive
research community, develop strength in research and teaching, study and
contribute to our physical collections, and to contribute to the Beaty
Biodiversity Museum's community and outreach efforts. We welcome candidates
working on any group of organisms and particularly encourage candidates who
broaden our teaching and research approaches. The candidate will also
actively interact with the broadly based group of biologists in the Zoology
Department. The Department includes more than 44 principal investigators and
vigorously promotes integrative research in biology. Its faculty and
students pursue cutting edge questions in cell and developmental biology,
comparative animal physiology, ecology and evolution.

Responsibilities of the position include establishing and conducting an
internationally competitive and externally funded research program,
excellent teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, supervising
graduate and undergraduate students, and participating on service committees
for the Department, University, and academic/scientific community.

Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of
research, statement of teaching accomplishments and/or interests, and up to
four publications to Dr. Sally Otto at evobiosearch at zoology.ubc.ca. Letters
of support from three referees should be sent to the same address. The
deadline for applications is September 21, 2015.

The Canada Research Chair is equally open to individuals of all
nationalities. The Chair is subject to review and final approval by the CRC
Secretariat. More information about the CRC program can be found at
www.chairs.gc.ca. Applicants must meet eligibility requirement for a CRC
Tier 2 position, including having received their PhD in 2006 or later,
except under special circumstances.

UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All
qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome
applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal
persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations
and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage
productively with diverse communities.

Kind Regards,
Lilia

Lilia Espenido <info at zoology.ubc.ca>