[Taxacom] job announcement for insect systematists/taxonomists!

Gaimari, Stephen@CDFA stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov
Tue Aug 25 15:31:52 CDT 2015

Call For Applications for Insect Systematists/Taxonomists!

Time is almost up regarding applications for systematic/taxonomic entomologists at CDFA for a current job opening, and for any that may open in the near future. Getting your application in by the due date will ensure that you will be considered for any open positions during the life of the eligible list being established. Please disperse widely (and quickly, given the due date is 11 September 2015!).

Position: Associate Insect Biosystematist

Current Salary Range: $4,758.00 to $5,912.00 per month

Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Sacramento, California

Application Due Date: 11 September 2015

Visit http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/pdfs/5FA39.pdf (the Exam Bulletin) for details and how to apply. Also visit http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/ regarding starting the process, and for additional resources.

We are seeking applications from highly-qualified, morphology-leaning Systematic/taxonomic entomologists for full time employment as scientists in the Entomology Lab of our Plant Pest Diagnostics Center (CDFA) in Sacramento, California. Please visit http://cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/entomology.html for an introduction to our lab, which currently has a scientific staff of 10 insect systematists, 4 technicians and numerous student technicians, and 2 postdocs, all with a wide variety of taxonomic expertise across the insects and other arthropods and molluscs.

The eligible list (from which we must hire) lasts for at least one year (and up to two years), so I encourage systematic entomologists with varied expertise to apply.

The primary duties for an Associate Insect Biosystematist include the following:

1) Perform timely and accurate identifications and diagnostics of the insect group(s) assigned - broad familiarity and knowledge of your group is necessary for this function. Provide expert consultation to internal and external client groups.

2) Conduct research in systematics and taxonomy of insects or other arthropods (note, this does not have to be the same group as diagnostic responsibility), resulting in scientific publications.

3) Contribute to the growth and improvement of the California State Collection of Arthropods, our primary reference collection, currently home to more than 2 million curated specimens, and growing rapidly.

4) Participate in the general functions and activities of the Entomology Lab and the greater Plant Pest Diagnostics Center team. Please visit http://cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/ for an introduction to the Branch.

Please see the Exam Bulletin (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/pdfs/5FA39.pdf) for more details about qualifications, how to apply, etc.

Application procedure: The completely filled-out State Application (https://jobs.ca.gov/Profile/StateApplication) in printed and signed hard copy, plus copies of academic transcripts, MUST be submitted (hand-delivered or postmarked) by 11 September 2015 to the following address:

California Department of Food and Agriculture
Examination Unit, Attn: Darlene Hayashi
1220 N Street, Room 242
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 403-6584, darlene.hayashi at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:darlene.hayashi at cdfa.ca.gov>

Dr. Stephen D. Gaimari
Program Supervisor (Entomology & Botany)

[Wawu_monstruosus3]Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food and Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA

Tel. 916-262-1131, Fax 916-262-1190
E-mail  stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov>