[Taxacom] Herpetological Common Names

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Sun Aug 2 11:53:24 CDT 2015

I am with Fred on this but the question was about establishing them. I suggest that students be required to memorize an use them in all their classes, with it being explained that J.Q. Public is incapable of learning unfamiliar names, at least not once they get to their teens. Then require all government agencies and their employees to use them and make the manufactured name more conspicuous in all books and documents. This will help ensure that scientific names are considered difficult, obscure, abstruse, a (pick your term) - fit only for people that live in ivory towers.

Mary