[Taxacom] Herpetological Common Names

Robin Leech releech at telus.net
Sun Aug 2 13:27:30 CDT 2015

Hi Daphne,

True, but also birch, aspen, dandelion, cranberry, strawberry, etc.,
without reference to a scientific name.  For the most part, scientific
names for plants are used in technical articles just to make sure that
there is no confusion about the species - as sometime (at least in the
animal world) a common name may cover 2-3 species in different genera and
families in different parts of the world, e.g., "robin".

For things like Populus tremuloides and P. balsamifera, both scientific
and common names are used, but in something like Dryas crenata, where there
is ID confusion, I believe that common names are avoided.

But, regarding scientific names for birds, for example, many thousands of
birders DO NOT use the scientific name, and, literally, have fits when the
common name that has been used for years is either dropped or made to include
what they had regarded as another species under another name.  The Slate-grey
Junco is an example.

In checking around in Google, I found that in some cases, a particular species
of spider may have as many as 4 common names in the same geographic region.  Part
of what We and I are about is to resolve such problems, hence my question to the
birders, the Herpetologists and generally to Taxonomists.

Robin