[Taxacom] ‏‏رد: New look BioStor: viewing articles from the Biodiversity Heritage Library

Sami Hussein Rabei samirabei at du.edu.eg
Mon Aug 3 16:23:53 CDT 2015

Thanks a lot

Sami Rabei
----------------------------------
With my Best Wishes
Sami Hussein Rabei (PhD)
Botany Department,
Faculty of Science,
Damietta University,
New Damietta , Post Box 34517
Damietta, Egypt.

Tel. Mobile: 002 0101 7895350
Tel. Work:   002 057 2403981
Tel. Home:   002 057 2403108
Fax:         002 057 2403868

samirabei at du.edu.eg
Researcher ID: G-9848-2012
ORCID: 0000-0001-6042-5877
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GexZOhIAAAAJ
‏‏من: ‏‏Taxacom [taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] بالنيابة عن Roderic Page [Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk]
‏‏تاريخ الإرسال: 03 اغسطس, 2015 02:21 م
To: TAXACOM
‏‏الموضوع: [Taxacom] New look BioStor: viewing articles from the Biodiversity Heritage Library

Dear All,

As some of you may know, for the last five or so years I've been running a website called BioStor http://biostor.org/ which extracts and displays articles from the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) http://biodiversitylibrary.org

These articles are displayed on BioStor, and also feed back to BHL where they appear in the "Table of Contents" tab you may have seen appear in the list of page number when you browse a BHL item.

BioStor is showing its age, so today I've released a new version that I hope will be easier to use. If features simplified browsing of journals and articles, and an easy way to search on titles, author names, etc.

Some highlights are the images page http://biostor.org/images where a series of interesting images are displayed (these come from BioStor's Pintrest page), each one leading to the corresponding article, and the map page http://biostor.org/map which shows localities mentioned in BioStor articles (click on a red sqauer to see the corresponding articles).

You can browse for journals at http://biostor.org/titles . Specific journals that might be of interest include the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature, e.g., http://biostor.org/issn/0007-5167/year/2007 where you can find numerous ICZN opinions (see also "Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature" e.g., http://biostor.org/oclc/5900905/year/1955 ). Botanists might be interested in journals such as the Gardens' Bulletin, Singapore http://biostor.org/issn/0374-7859/year/2012. Lepidopterists might enjoy the Journal of The Lepidopterists' Society, http://biostor.org/issn/0024-0966/year/2000  Note that I've deliberately picked recent volumes to emphasise that BHL is full of modern literature, it's not just a collection of older (pre-1923) works.

The new version is still a work in progress, and I'd welcome any feedback and/or comments.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy