[Taxacom] primary species

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 10:22:23 CDT 2015

Hi Luis,                              It is used differently in different contexts.  I think the traditional usage in biology is that primary species are the normal residents or migrants in an area, and the secondary species are the introduced species and rare migrants.  I have occasionally seen it used as equivalent to "pioneer species", but it is more often used in reference to the flora and fauna which largely replace the pioneering species.  More recently I have seen "primary species" used by those who use gene sequences to study species groups, but they would have to explain what they mean when it is used in that context.  And of course, "primary species" means something different in the context of chemistry.                       -----------------Ken