[Taxacom] Saint-Didier

Barry OConnor bmoc at umich.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:52:46 CST 2015

Thanks to everyone who responded with details about Balthazard-Augustin Hubert
de Saint-Didier, who, in addition to his work on mange in livestock was
also accomplished in other fields.  According to Philippe Vernon:
"B.A. Hubert de Saint-Didier was a rather well-known painter, and a friend
of Andre-Marie Ampere (1775-1836), the famous physicist. Hubert de
Saint-Didier was also in interest with archeology, botany, chemistry,
history, literature, mathematics; an impressive list, where I have however
not found acarology!"
Laurent Raty traced the same person from a list of the members of the Société
d'agriculture de Lyon (as M. Saint-Didier, with his address) to his full
name listed at that address in the "Bulletin des lois du royaume de France
IXe Série," in the "Règne de Louis-Philippe Ier, roi des Francais."
Some suggested that the lack of reference to his full surname "Hubert de
Saint-Didier" in early 19th century France might hide any suggestion of his
coming from a noble family in the period following the French Revolution.
All the best! - Barry

--
-So many mites, so little time!

Barry M. OConnor