[Taxacom] European locality?

Barry OConnor bmoc at umich.edu
Thu Jan 15 08:46:41 CST 2015

I have a beetle specimen from which I have recovered mites of some
interest. However, the locality information is odd. The label reads:
"SUISSE/Livorno/29-V-1886".
I haven't been able to locate a "Livorno" in Switzerland, however Livorno
Ferraris is a town in northern Italy (45.281693, 8.084914). I checked an
old map, but the Swiss border from that era appears to be the same as
today's. I'd appreciate any help in tracking this down.
All the best! - Barry

--
-So many mites, so little time!

Barry M. OConnor
Professor  & Curator
University of Michigan                  phone: 734-763-4354
1109 Geddes Ave.                          fax: 734-763-4080
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu