[Taxacom] Dark Research: a comparison of content discoverability between PLOS ONE and Zootaxa

rcpm20 at bath.ac.uk rcpm20 at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 02:59:55 CST 2015

Quoting Donat Agosti <agosti at amnh.org>:

> Dear Ross
> Thanks for this study. Did you have a chance to compare your
> findings with content in the Biodiversity Data Journal
> (http://bdj.pensoft.net/ ) or its technical precursor, Zookeys
> (http://www.pensoft.net/journals/zookeys ) both based on Taxpub
> JATS, that is a semantically enhanced version of JATS a flovor of it
> is also used in PLoS?
> Cheers
> Donat

Not yet, but as I have indicated in the Future Work section - this
would be the obvious thing to do: test a wider variety of journals and
publishers who publish articles in the realm of taxonomy, systematics
& phylogenetics.

This initial paper is just to establish that there is/can be a
substantial difference in discoverability of content between journals.
So the next big task is to assemble a larger/comprehensive list of
journals & analyse a cross-section of content across them. A lot of
work, but I think it needs to be done to clearly demonstrate the
otherwise-hidden value of high-quality electronic publishing (in that
it can make content much more discoverable). It helps too that UK
copyright law has changed recently to safely enable this kind of text
& data mining of subscription access research, without the permission
of the publisher:
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/06/04/the-right-to-read-is-the-right-to-mine-tdm/

Best,

Ross