[Taxacom] Proofs for opinion

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Jan 7 18:47:53 CST 2015

On 1/7/15 4:34 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> The problem, Donat, is that this is not formalised in the Code. I agree that it makes sense, and for pragmatic reasons I accept it, but there is still the problem of verification, i.e. that the publisher didn't try to "pull a fast one" by adding in a forgotten ZooBank LSID after the Early View version was first published online. Publishers don't like making mistakes, and sometimes try to hide them...

The registration in ZooBank is time-stamped. If a work is registered
retroactively (so the time stamp post-dates the date of publication),
then the electronic version is not considered published, and the
nomenclatural acts in it are available from the date of the print
version instead. If there is no print version at all AND a post-dated
registration, then there is no Code-compliant publication at all.

Sincerely,