[Taxacom] European locality?

Robin Leech releech at telus.net
Thu Jan 15 09:23:43 CST 2015

Hi Barry,

I cannot offer THE solution, but I can suggest A solution.
In the western US up until roads were built, people relied on
travel by train.  So, they would come west, get off at a particular
site that the RR company said was Podunk Junction, or at a site many
miles west of Podunk Junction.  The collector may have collected many
many specimens many miles from Podunk, but all the labels will read
"Podunk Junction", mainly because there was no other identifiable
location.

The other thing that happened was that major collectors would come west,
and they would work out of say Los Angeles.  But they would pay various
local west coast collectors for specimens.  All specimens went to Los
Angeles, and they would be labelled "Los Angeles, California", even though
the specimens might have been collected in Portland or Seattle. When the
specimens were sent to eastern US museums, all the material from this main
collector would have been labelled "Los Angeles".

I cite the following example from my own work.  A specimen labelled "Amaurobius
angeles" from Los Angeles (holotype label), a female, but no males.  In doing
my digging for locations, I found more females, and males from northern Calif.

Hope this helps.

Robin