[Taxacom] Impossible geocodes

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Jan 24 17:06:32 CST 2015

Just to be clear... conversion of Decimal Lat/Long to DMS (and vice versa) certainly does not require a computer (or at least it shouldn't!)  Granted, it might require a pencil and a piece of paper and about 30 seconds of time; but not a computer.

Also, I wouldn't regard either DMS or decimal Lat/Long as being either more or less inclusive -- just different ways of representing the same number (like "0.5" vs. "1/2").  UTM, TRS, and other geocoding schemes are different; but in that context, I have to agree with Alec and Mary that it not only should, but already is strongly trending towards more consistent use of Lat/Long, and moreover the trend is (and should be) towards more consistent representation as decimal degrees and using the WGS-84 datum.

In any case, these are TRIVIAL problems compared to the much larger issue of historical occurrence records with textual place descriptions, but no coordinate values at all.

Aloha,
Rich