[Taxacom] Impossible geocodes

Fautin, Daphne G. fautin at ku.edu
Sat Jan 24 20:22:42 CST 2015

All users should be aware, however, of the huge errors that can be introduced by conversion.  Tony Rees made a presentation to OBIS once about this (since marine data were nearly always DMS -- and now DD -- because the ocean lacks landmarks; only nearshore records may refer to landmarks), and showed that a conversion moved his home from the nice bayside locality it occupies outside Hobart to the hills well inland.  I'd bet he has it archived somewhere that you could find to caution people.

Sincerely,
Daphne

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045 USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
skype user name daphne.fautin
evo user name fautin
website: invertebratezoology.biodiversity.ku.edu/home
cv: www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html

    database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
       most recent version released 2 January 2013
hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2/index.cfm