[Taxacom] Impossible geocodes

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sat Jan 24 21:58:00 CST 2015

Quoting "Fautin, Daphne G." <fautin at ku.edu>:

> All users should be aware, however, of the huge errors that can be
> introduced by conversion.  Tony Rees made a presentation to OBIS
> once about this (since marine data were nearly always DMS -- and now
> DD -- because the ocean lacks landmarks; only nearshore records may
> refer to landmarks), and showed that a conversion moved his home
> from the nice bayside locality it occupies outside Hobart to the
> hills well inland.  I'd bet he has it archived somewhere that you
> could find to caution people.

* this may be because of unrecorded or uncompensated-for map datums.
Around here the old NAD27 map datum gives a position 200m from the
position given by the modern NAD83 or WGS84 datums.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.