[Taxacom] Position Announcement: Botanical Garden, Assistant Director, UC Los Angeles, California
Beach, James H.
beach at ku.edu
Fri Nov 13 14:18:52 CST 2015
Mildred Mathias Botanical Garden, Assistant Director
Reporting to the Director of Botanical Garden, the Assistant Director will work with the Garden Director and staff to (i) develop and oversee the horticultural plan for Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden (MEMBG); (ii) administer and curate the complex collection of gardens and plant collections that make up the MEMBG and the UCLA Herbarium; (iii) coordinate the activities of the garden staff of four individuals and technical staff associated with the Herbarium; (iv) update and maintain database collection records for both the Garden and Herbarium. The Assistant Director will also work with faculty and the UCLA development office to seek funding to expand the programs and collections of MEMBG and the UCLA Herbarium, and work with faculty and staff to expand and improve the teaching, research, and extension missions of the Botanical Garden.
Applicants must submit their qualifications via UCLA's Career Opportunities website at
https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu . Reference position # 22936. AA/EEO
The complete listing of qualifications is available on UCLA's official job posting.
* Graduation from college with specialization in a relevant discipline and six (6 years ) of experience in horticultural work, including two (2) years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to be successful.
* Strong computer skills; knowledge of database management for garden acquisitions; collection database, and mapping.
* Detailed understanding of horticultural practices for the maintenance and propagation of garden landscape and nursery and plants and extensive knowledge of rare and exotic specialty plants such as cacti, succulents, orchids, ferns, cycads, etc.
* Practical and current knowledge of plant pests and diseases and their control - preventive, natural and chemical (regulations and use). Significant expertise and experience in designing permanent and temporary plantings with both educational and aesthetic emphasis.
* Ability to coordinate, prioritize and direct the efforts of staff, docents and volunteers with diverse educational backgrounds, skills sets and interests to accomplish Botanical Garden goals and projects.
* Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills (newsletters, written tour guides, presentations, media articles, tours, etc.).
* Strong ability to recruit and train volunteers, docents and staff in day-to-day operation and curatorial activities of Botanic Gardens.
UCLA offers a comprehensive benefits package, including an average of three weeks' vacation per year; an average of 12 days per year sick leave; 12 paid holidays per year; health, dental and optical benefits; life insurance; disability insurance; the University of California Retirement Plan with 5 year vesting and various voluntary UC Savings Plans. There are also special programs and privileges available, such as accessibility to cultural and recreational programs, athletic events, and the University Credit Union.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy - http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Please direct inquiries to:
Staff & Academic Apprentice
Payroll Personnel Analyst Supervisor
UCLA Life Sciences South Administration
230 Hershey Hall
(310) 825-3391 fax
More information about the Taxacom