[Taxacom] More decline of the Australian Museum

Buz Wilson buzwilson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 08:37:47 CST 2015

Hello Taxacom colleagues

The decline of small museums around the world continues. Non-scientist
directors are told by conservative governments to cut costs: because the
executives don't understand the value of scientific research, the
science staff and facilities go first. Read about the further decline of
the Australian Museum in this Sydney Morning Herald article by
journalist Kate Aubusson.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/australian-museum-guts-staff-putting-priceless-artefacts-at-risk-union-20151112-gkxac0.html
or http://tinyurl.com/obv3mbj

Writing letters to the current director Kim McKay might help although I
think that key scientific staff,such as the Imaging Laboratory Manager
Sue Lindsay, have already been made redundant.

Disclaimer: I was made redundant at this organization in 2013 under the
previous non-scientist director,  breaking the long string of
distinguished scientists who directed the Australian Museum.

--
George D.F. (Buz) Wilson, Ph.D.
Saugatuck Natural History Laboratory, LLC