[Taxacom] Did Linnaeus personally describe taxa?

Dilrukshan Wijesinghe dpwijesinghe at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 09:29:04 CST 2015

What's so improbable about having described 10,000 species, especially if the descriptions are as brief as they are in Linnaeus' case? Francis Walker, perhaps the most prolific of describers in entomology (and clearly one who admired brevity!), is believed to have described 23,506 species.
In our own time, working to much higher standards, no author could approach these numbers. However, a few thousand species is still evidently not impossible. For example, Norm Platnick has described nearly 2,000 species of spiders - in 2013 the actual number was 1,831, of which 1,828 were considered valid.
Priyantha

D. P. Wijesinghe
dpwijesinghe at yahoo.com