[Taxacom] Formation of family names e.g. Diplogasteridae vs. Diplogastridae in Nematoda (and similar)

Michael Heads m.j.heads at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 02:16:44 CST 2015

Latin itself never decided how to decline this word, borrowed from Greek.
The word was treated as both second declension and third declension, with
the genitive forms being gastri and gasteri respectively. So they are old
variations.

Michael Heads

--
Dunedin, New Zealand.

My books:

Craw, R., J. Grehan, M. Heads. 1999. *Panbiogeography: Tracking the history
of life*. Oxford University Press, New York.
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Bm0_QQ3Z6GUC
<http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Bm0_QQ3Z6GUC&dq=panbiogeography&source=gbs_navlinks_s>

Heads, M. 2012.* Molecular panbiogeography of the tropics. *University of
California Press, Berkeley. www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520271968

Heads, M. 2014.* Biogeography of Australasia:  A molecular analysis*.
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. www.cambridge.org/9781107041028