[Taxacom] Formation of family names e.g. Diplogasteridae vs. Diplogastridae in Nematoda (and similar)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 2 15:07:28 CST 2015

On 11/1/15 11:08 PM, Tony Rees wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to reach a decision which form of the family Diplogast[e]ridae
> in Nemataoda, based on the genus Diplogaster, I should use in my database.

The Code is explicit:

"29.5. Maintenance of current spellings. If a spelling of a family-group
name was not formed in accordance with Article 29.3 but is in prevailing
usage, that spelling is to be maintained, whether or not it is the
original spelling and whether or not its derivation from the name of the
type genus is in accordance with the grammatical procedures in Articles
29.3.1
<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/includes/page.jsp?nfv=&article=29#3.1>
and 29.3.2
<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/includes/page.jsp?nfv=&article=24#32>."

It literally DOES NOT MATTER which spelling is "correct". All that
matters is which spelling, as of the year 2000 (when this edition of the
Code was put in force), was the *predominant* spelling.

The reason to specify the year 2000 as a cut-off is simple enough: if
spelling A was dominant as of 2000, when the new Code came out, then
spelling B was *at that point* no longer Code-compliant. Authors
continuing to use spelling B after 2000 were - whether intentionally or
unintentionally - violating the Code, and you can't "overrule" the Code
simply by violating it repeatedly until your error attains numerical
superiority. That's called "gaming the system", and if it worked that
way, it would defeat the entire purpose of that Article (and similar
Articles).

Unfortunately, lots of taxonomists are completely unaware of Article
29.5 (and several other "prevailing usage" Articles that were only
introduced in the 2000 edition of the Code), and assume that spellings
always have to be "corrected". People got tired of revisionist pedantry,
changed the Code to prevent it, and yet there are people who still do it.

Sincerely,