[Taxacom] Formation of family names e.g. Diplogasteridae vs. Diplogastridae in Nematoda (and similar)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 2 15:49:37 CST 2015

On 11/2/15 1:33 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> But what if there is a more or less 50:50 split in "prevailing usage" [Crikey I hate that concept!]?
In that unlikely event, refer to the glossary:

"*usage, prevailing*, /n/.
    Of a name: that usage of the name which is adopted by at least a
    substantial majority of the most recent authors concerned with the
    relevant taxon, irrespective of how long ago their work was published."

The "irrespective" clause at the end allows one to apply a "sliding
window" from 1999 backwards, however far one must go in order to reach a
substantial majority one way or the other. If that still doesn't resolve
it, THEN the matter goes back to which spelling is technically correct.
In theory, there is only one technically correct spelling, but if no
clear case can be made here for the generic scenario of "-gastridae"
versus "-gasteridae", then we are faced with the necessity of simply
coming to a consensus and *everyone agreeing to stick with it*. This is
one reason I have argued we need to streamline the LAN protocols, so
that once a consensus is reached, it becomes immutable, and dissenters
who come late to the proverbial party can't disrupt anything, ever.

Peace,