[Taxacom] Formation of family names e.g. Diplogasteridae vs. Diplogastridae in Nematoda (and similar)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 2 16:09:23 CST 2015

On 11/2/15 1:57 PM, Tony Rees wrote:
> Doug and Stephen, I did a quick check using Google Scholar and came up
> with the following result:
>
> 1850-2000 papers: Diplogasteridae 398, Diplogastridae 62
>
> 2001-2015 papers (out of scope for ICZN "prevailing usage"
> consideration): Diplogasteridae 459, Diplogastridae 427
>
> Thus although it appears that usage of the form "Diplogastridae" has
> been gaining ground, this is incorrect so far as the Code is concerned
> and the version "Diplogasteridae" is the Code-sanctioned one.

The Code specifies that what one counts is authors, not papers. Googling
is not the best way to assess this metric, therefore. Think about it and
you'll see the logic: one author could flood the literature with dozens
of papers using the spelling they personally prefer, and thereby "win"
if all the other experts published only one paper apiece.

Peace,