[Taxacom] Taxon suffix (for hominids)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:23:44 CST 2015

Hi Tony,       Actually it's even more complicated than that.  The tighter group (excluding chimps, gorillas, etc.) is now sometimes called Subtribe Hominina.  If you say Hominini (much less hominin), I think today most people's eyes just glaze over.  Ever since the molecular people started to strictly cladify the ape taxonomy, they have just made a huge mess of it.
       It would be so much easier to go back to a paraphyletic Family Pongidae% (the percent sign indicating that it is paraphyletic) for the great apes, plus the exgroup Family Hominidae for Homo and its extinct relatives.   Then we would once again know what a person meant when they said hominid or Hominidae.  What we have now is chaos and a lot of glazed-over eyes.  Same goes for Domain or Kingdom Bacteria (if you instead say Eubacteria, then most people will know what you mean).                                         -----------------------Ken -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------