[Taxacom] Taxon suffix (for hominids)

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:37:06 CST 2015

Since Ken makes reference to one of my favorite groups (hominids) I have to
say that the molecular people have not made a mess of anything by
'strictly' cladifying ape taxonomy (in fact I am not sure there is such
thing as 'strict' cladification - either one is a cladist or one is not I
would think). All they have done is select some names for particular
molecular clades, with the exception of Humans and older Homo fossils and
their nearest non-Homo fossil relatives which cannot yet be linked with
living taxa using molecular DNA sequence techniques. Instead of resorting
to former paraphyletic arrangements once could, for example use Pongidae
(Pongo and inclusive fossil relatives), Panidae (Gorilla and chimpanzee and
inclusive fossil relatives), and Hominidae (humans and inclusive fossil
relatives). So one would have pongids, panids, and hominids. :)

John Grehan