[Taxacom] Formation of family names e.g. Diplogasteridae vs. Diplogastridae in Nematoda (and similar)

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 05:39:15 CST 2015

Hi Tony,

According to the ICZN (1985) Table D the correct formation for family group names in zoology based on "gaster" must always be -gastridae, gastrinae, etc. An old Code but as far as I know the advice/rule still stands. For an in-depth discussion see Burks, 2012, Zootaxa 3389:61-64.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids