[Taxacom] Why Defend the Code?

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Fri Oct 9 18:02:14 CDT 2015

This may have been precipitated by a recent set of events, but it is
targeted at a broader group of messages that put me over the edge on the
last one.  No individual person, living or dead, if specifically
referred to below.

I just received a private email asking why I would waste my time
challenging someone with no position, no credibility and well known as a
pedant and seeker of attention?

Why indeed.  Because I am an educator and a systematist.  It is time we
all wake up to a few things.  First, our system of nomenclature is under
attack.  Few students are given a class in its use, most are told the
rules are difficult and arcane.  This is giving rise to a movement to
simply do away with compliance.

Second, compliance with our Code is voluntary.  There is ZERO
enforcement available.  We are just a thin line from a break to anarchy.

Therefore, when someone wants to, repeatedly, claim the Code is poor, is
difficult, is not well thought out, or otherwise in need of endless
negative blather, there are people who read that.  Hundreds more are
exposed to this forum than ever post to it.  If such negativity comes
from someone who projects a facade of expertise, people may even believe
him or her.

I understand the Code is not perfect, but it does work.  It does require
diligence, and takes time from other activities that may be more fun,
but it is not that hard.  We need to reinforce in the minds of our
peers, and especially the younger members of our profession, that using
the Code is what is expected, and it is not something to dread.  And,
when mindless attacks are made claiming it is defective, difficult or
irrelevant, we must defend it vociferously.

Mike

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50