[Taxacom] Citing Authors for Animals

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Sat Oct 17 09:18:37 CDT 2015

I am a botanist but I need to import animals names with their appropriate authors to a database. I am using ITIS as a source. I really want to learn how to do this this weekend which is why I am asking here.
For this entry:
[TA]

169270

Penhallurick & C. R. Robson

2009

5

Should a label for this taxon read
Somescientificname Penhallurick & C. R. Robson 2009

Would this be the standard format? Do zoologists just omit the taxonauthor for ranks above species?
Also, do zoologists now have only one infraspecific rank, subspecies? If not, what does one do when one has a trinomial with no indication of what the lowest rank is supposed to be?

Mary