[Taxacom] Kingdom Protista (classification update)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 24 21:19:00 CDT 2015

Hi All,       I was looking at the classification of Kingdom Protista that I posted here on 23 January 2014.  I am now splitting off another small phylum (Breviatea).  Unfortunately, I have yet to find a better alternative classification for protists.  Even those of Cavalier-Smith (which are generally accurate) are too complicated, and thus only followed by a minority of protistologists (much less other taxonomists).
        Protista is a paraphyetic (and natural) taxon, but so is his Protozoa, so splitting Protista into two kingdoms has just unnecessarily muddied the waters.  The ensuing chaos, coupled with those who insist that paraphyletic taxa are unnatural, has produced an alarming number of new variant classifications in recent years (all of which are far more complicated than they need to be).   My alternative has always been to reunite his Kingdoms Protozoa and Chromista back into a single Kingdom Protista.
        I propose that the 18 phyla of Protista listed below (most of which have been long recognized) can be the basis of a classification that can become acceptable to a majority of taxonomists.   If you aren't interested in the cladistic relationships of these phyla, the alphanumeric coding in the left column can be ignored (which makes the classification even less complicated than it might appear).   Phylum Choanozoa is split into Classes to show the cladistic relationships of the exgroups (Kingdoms Fungi and Animalia).                 ------------Ken Kinman
              KINGDOM PROTISTA

   1   Euglenozoa
  2A   Percolozoa
   B   Loukozoa
   C   Metamonada
  3A   Amoebozoa    B   Breviatea
   C   Apusozoa
   D   Choanozoa%%
            1A  Cristidiscoidea
            1B  {{Fungi}}
            2   Ichthyosporea
            ?   Corallochytrea
            3   Filasterea
            4   Choanoflagellatea
            5   {{Animalia}}
 _a_   {{Kingdom FUNGI a.k.a. EUMYCOTA}} (true fungi)
 _b_   {{Kingdom ANIMALIA, a.k.a. METAZOA}}
  4A   Glaucophyta
   B   Rhodophyta
   C   Chlorophyta%
 _a_   {{Kingdom METAPHYTA, a.k.a PLANTAE}} (embryophytes)
  5A   Cryptophyta
   B   Haptophyta
   6   Rhizaria
   7   Heterokonta (stramenopiles)
   8   Ciliophora
   9   Dinozoa (or Dinophyta)
  10   Sporozoa

NOTES: Clades 5-10 make up the "SAR" clade (Cavalier-Smith's Chromista
sensu lato). Clades 4-10 form the photokaryote clade.   Clades 3-10
form Cavalier-Smith's "Neozoa"; Clades 2-10 form Cavalier-Smith's
"neokaryotes".   Clade 3 is "Unikonta" and Clade 3B (Choanozoa and its
two exgroups) form the Opisthokonta clade of which we are a part).
 Clades 7-10 have been named Clade Halvaria.
% indicates that Phylum Chlorophyta is paraphyletic with respect to Kingdom Metaphyta (Plantae).  %% indicates that Phylum Choanoa is doubly paraphyletic with respect to Kingdoms Fungi and Animalia.