[Taxacom] Plantae (Metaphyta, Viridiplantae, or Archaeplastida)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:25:11 CDT 2015

Hi all,
       I've given up trying to convince people to use Metazoa instead of Animalia.  It's no big deal, since they are almost universally regarded as synonyms (or close to it).
       However, when it comes to the Plant Kingdom, I continue to oppose formally using the word Plantae.  Not only did it have multiple meanings in the past, it is still widely used in three different ways: (1) synonym of Metaphyta or Embryophyta; (2) synonym of Viridiplantae (Metaphyta plus Chlorophyta); or (3) synonym of Archaeplastida (Metaphyta plus Chlorophyta, Rhodophyta, and Glaucophyta).  Ruggiero et al., 2015, chose the third as their "consensus".
       Although I would still prefer a Kingdom Metaphyta (a.k.a. Embryophyta), perhaps a consensus could be formed around a Kingdom Viridiplantae (which literally means "green plants", and includes the green algae).  This taxon name still has "plantae" as part of the name, and it has one and ONLY one meaning (Chlorophyta + Metaphyta).
        Just for fun, I did a google search for Viridiplantae and got 350,000 hits (compared to 208,000 for Archaeplastida, which does not have "plantae" in its name).  Of course, Plantae gets over 10 million hits, but that includes references to all three meanings given above, as well as all of the other older meanings.  Even the big two volume classification of organisms (Parker et al., 1982) still included the fungi (as Eumycota) in Kingdom Plantae.  Yikes!!!