[Taxacom] resend Kingdom Protista (and Subkingdom Chromista)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:46:04 CDT 2015

Hotmail or Taxacom continues to make a mess posting my classifications, so I'll try just one more time.  This is my final attempt.           Hi All,                                    Below I decided to show Kingdom Protista divided into Subkingdoms Protozoa and Chromista. I could also combine Phylum Chlorophyta and Kingdom Metaphyta into a Kingdom Viridiplantae if that consensus would be preferable (but that is a separate issue to be decided later). I am all for a consensus classification, but I just don't think Ruggiero et al. was quite enough of a consensus for the protists (and the Kingdoms that evolved from them).                                 ---------------Ken P.S. It should be noted that the current version of Chromista has become much broader than when Chromista was first proposed decades ago. So much so that I am somewhat reluctant to still call this Subkingdom Chromista (especially with the recent addition of Rhizaria). However, in view of Ruggiero et al.'s continued recognition of a full Kingdom Chromista, they left me with little choice if a true consensus is to be achieved. Anyway, just as there are probably better ways to subdivide Superkingdom Prokaryota (into Negibacteria and Posibacteria, rather than Eubacteria and Archaebacteria), there are also probably better ways to subdivide Kingdom Protista. In each case, I guess I'll just have to try to modify the consensus in two steps instead of one. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see that happen.       -----------------Ken Kinman                    KINGDOM PROTISTA SUBKINGDOM PROTOZOA% 1   Euglenozoa  2A  Percolozoa  B   Loukozoa  C   Metamonada  3A  Amoebozoa  B  Breviatea  C  Apusozoa  D  Choanozoa%%             1A Cristidiscoidea             1B {{Fungi}}             2 Ichthyosporea             ? Corallochytrea            3 Filasterea            4 Choanoflagellatea             5 {{Animalia}}    _a_ {{Kingdom FUNGI a.k.a. EUMYCOTA}} (true fungi)   _b_ {{Kingdom ANIMALIA, a.k.a. METAZOA}}  4A  Glaucophyta  B  Rhodophyta  C  Chlorophyta%  _a_  {{Kingdom METAPHYTA, a.k.a PLANTAE sensu stricto}} (embryophytes)  5  {{Subkingdom Chromista}}
SUBKINGDOM CHROMISTA   1A  Cryptophyta   1B  Haptophyta   2  Rhizaria  3  Heterokonta (stramenopiles)  4  Ciliophora  5  Dinozoa (or Dinophyta)  6  Sporozoa    ---------------------------------------------------------------------