[Taxacom] why Martin Fikacek resign

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 7 15:04:00 CDT 2015

I'm sure that people are playing right into Lyubo's hands by adding to the publicity about this (any publicity is good publicity!) Pensoft are a commercial publisher. I have pretty much given up on them as well, largely because Biodiversity Data Journal has now become little more than a venue for promotional papers, miles away from its initially stated philosophy.

Nevertheless, many of the reasons cited against describing new species from photos are quite unconvincing. Why is palaeontology considered to be science? An impression in rock, or a partly obscured amber inclusion are both on a par with a photograph, given that you can't see all the relevant characters, you can't dissect, and you can't extract DNA (most of the time).

It would be a very bad idea to describe a new species of hydrophilid beetle (Martin Fikacek's speciality) from photograph(s) of a live specimen, but this may not apply equally to other groups of organisms. Iterestingly, Fikacek does describe fossil hydrophilids!

One thing, however, that Marshall & Evenhuis did misinterpret from the Code relates to "Designation of an illustration of a single specimen as a holotype is to be treated as designation of the specimen illustrated". This is actually quite irrelevant! Designating a specimen as holotype via a photograph, is what Marshall & Evenhuis have done. This is very different from designating a photograph of a specimen as holotype! The above quote from the Code simply reduces the latter to the former, but that is irrelevant here.

As for Vratislav's P.S.: >If this will continue, anybody can create not just new species, but complete new family using just Photoshop.<

Anybody can and always could do effectively that anyway. Write a verbal description based on fictional characters, maybe add a few fanciful drawings, and conveniently claim the holotype to have been subsequently lost. Lost holotypes do not invalidate described taxa.

Stephen