[Taxacom] Help with finding a paper

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 7 17:57:24 CDT 2015

I have long speculated that a primary goal of keeping science funding flowing through the system explains most/all of the economics. With that as the primary goal, what the funding is actually spent on is very much a secondary concern. Many institutions "recoup overheads" from public science funding. So for every dollar that they can spend on a subscription, the institution might gain a dollar, and nobody has to do any actual science, so everybody (institution, scientist, publisher) wins, except for the public! I speculate that this is what is really driving "Open Access", and possibly also the growing restrictions on sending specimens between countries (so the taxonomist has to travel to the specimen, paid for by public science funding!)

Stephen