[Taxacom] Help with finding a paper

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 7 19:10:17 CDT 2015

Mike,

So have you been a senior manager in an institution which uses public funding for taxonomic research? I haven't, but, by your argument, if you haven't either, then you don't know what you are talking about either, so my speculation could be true as far as you know. I am talking about a situation where the institution has the opportunity to grab more public funding than it can cope with if it had to use all of the non-overheads for actual research, due to having too few scientists, and occupying most of their time with other more profitable commercial work. So, either, they turn down the extra public funding because they don't have the manpower/time to spend it on research, or they take it anyway, grab the overheads, and spend the rest on things which don't require any science to be done, but which can still be spun as part of the scientific research (e.g. subscriptions, databasing, travel, etc.) Someone I know who does work as a scientist in such an
 institution has more than once described to me how he and his colleagues are under pressure from their employer to think up [quote]any bullshit project[unquote] to spend research funding on. How widespread a problem this is in the world I do not know.

Stephen