[Taxacom] manuscript name question

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 22:03:55 CDT 2015

Yes, I agree with Alberto that the title was most unfortunate and not
at all helpful. This should have been flagged during review rather
than the nomenclatural consequences. Having said that, my other
concern is, was it worth it? Was this species so important to be
described now instead of when a "dead body" was acquired? As far as I
can recall (Zookeys is currently not accessible at this time, strange)
the specimens were found in separate areas in a country with an
acceptable degree of environmental protection. Yes, it is distinctive,
but other than that it feels more like a chance to have an argument (
a "discussion" ) than a description. For what is worth, the only
reasons you would allow descriptions such as these to be accepted is
if they pertained to species with very small populations (vertebrates
mostly) or if the only habitat where it is found has been utterly
destroyed. And even if the latter scenario was the case, I cannot for
the life of me see the point in describing a taxon whose only
available information for all time is a picture. What can we learn
from this new species? That it existed (maybe)?

Best

Jason