[Taxacom] Fly Digital Impresion same as fossil impression in rock

Scott L. Gardner sgardner1 at unl.edu
Thu Oct 8 21:53:45 CDT 2015

Hi, All:

It seems that an image of a fly is the same thing as a fossil
impression. It is simply an impression of light on pixels, and if it was
film, it would be the impression of light on silver crystals (sort of).
Preserve the image as well as the fossil impression (by printing and
holding in a museum) or by archiving the image in a permanent database
(are there such things?) and should be good to go - using the same
principle.

Scott

--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Scott Lyell Gardner, Ph.D.
Curator and Professor
Harold W. Manter Laboratory of Parasitology
W-529 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska State Museum and
School of Biological Sciences
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0514

e-mail:      slg at unl.edu
Web:         http://hwml.unl.edu
ASP Page: http://asp.unl.edu

Phone:    402-472-3334
Fax:         402-472-8949
Cell:        402-540-9310

"If we don't work to describe and conserve biodiversity now,
our descendants will be very upset."  -slg