[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Oct 8 22:21:53 CDT 2015

Well, to further elucidate and develop my point of view: describing a species from a single specimen is nowhere near as good as having long series from different localities along the geographical range. Yet, new species based on singletons are described all the time. Again we can ask "was there really a need to describe them at this time, with only one specimen available?" Most of the time the answer would really have to be "no". Yet, we don't get such vehement reactions against such practice as we seem to be getting for the idea of description based on a photo. "Oh it's not science!" they bleat! Tell that to a paleontologist who can only see some of the characters in a fossil specimen, or to a marine taxonomist who works on taxa that collapse into a useless mess when captured (photos are a major part, though not the whole, of nudibranch taxonomy these days). So, my view is that we certainly should not start describing new species from photos
 willy-nilly, but for some taxa and some circumstances it may be appropriate to do so. Was it appropriate for the case of this fly? Perhaps Neal would like to explain why he thought it appropriate to proceed in this case ...

Stephen