[Taxacom] why Martin Fikacek resign

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Oct 9 09:05:53 CDT 2015

A related aspect of this fast moving world is not only to almost inhumanly rapid development of our digital and electroni world. We can not only take pictures of organisms at a never seen quality, we can create a huge amount of DNA sequences, but we can make it accessible in large quantities, but more importantly, almost on the spot and thus everybody has immediately access. This is the first time that our science is out there for anybody with Internet access, the science can be reproduced, and with that critized.

This only works because it is Open Access. Even a few years ago, who would have realized that a species is described on images only? Nobody. So, you criticism is a very positive sign of the impact of Open Access to scientific literature.

And it raises more issues. To understand how the editorial process works a next step should be an open peer review process, where all the reviews are posted along a published article. Furthermore, the peer review should be open to anybody, so you have your say. I understand, this will be the case in the new RIO journal (http://riojournal.com/) , and is certainly and issue out in the publishing world. So, instead of leaving Zookeys, it might be better, as Doug suggest, to push this notion from with.
An additional aspect is the issue of citation. Since such an image is so important, we should have a system in place, where we can deposit and archive all the images in an article, and get a DOI that includes all the metadata as well as a link to the image itself as well as the specimen. But we should do more, we should assure, that all the articles cited in the bibliographic references should cited with a DOI that resolves as well to a digital version of it, be it by the original publisher, or for legacy literature through the Biodiversity Literature Repository (http://biolitrepo.org for articles) or the Biodiversity Heritage Library (http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/)  be made accessible. Specimens should also be added with a resolvable identifier, similar to the DNA sequences, audio files etc.

Finally, since we talk about nomenclature as well, we should push Pensoft to expand their publishing workflow to make it mandatory that all the elements needed to create an available name have to be submitted otherwise the ms will not be published. This should also be reflected in the output of the Zookeys, Phytokeys or BDJ that the XML includes all those elements, so that not only the reader, but also machines can check, whether the name is in fact available. This would also allow, that the ms could be submitted in its final stage to Zoobank or IPNI so they mint a unique identifier for the new taxon, and even better for all the nomenclatorial acts, which then would be included in the ms.

This way, our taxonomy will make a big step ahead where the world will not be split between those having access and those not, but making our taxa an integral part of the global knowledge, the global biodiversity knowledge graph or the Linked Open Data Cloud.

Taxonomy has one of the scientific world's most sophisticated publishing system - and we should not be afraid of it, but rather make the extra steps needed to deliver even better output, one that fulfills the claim we have been raising for the last twenty years, that taxonomy is at the basis of conservation and life sciences, and now even more, to link all our knowledge on the worlds species, an essential elements of biodiversity.

Donat