[Taxacom] why Martin Fikacek resign

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Oct 9 16:42:30 CDT 2015

Quoting Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>:

> And determining exactly what constitutes as "exceptional need" is
> wherein difficulty lies, thus proving my original point!

* I've never seen a neotype,
I never hope to see one,
but I can tell you anyways,
I'd rather see than be one.

- I think that it would be easily evident to the diligent revisor,
labouring away among swarms of synonyms and half-baked descriptions,
when there's an "exceptional need" to designate a neotype. It seems
clear that the Code's intention is simply to discourage nomenclatoral
busybodies from designating a new type any time they think the
holotype has been misplaced.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.