[Taxacom] manuscript name question

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:34:27 CDT 2015

Nessie was supposed to be an extreme, humorous example, and what do
you know it has been done (thanks Mike). I can only hope that this
does not gain full traction and becomes the preferred method of
describing biodiversity, because in my opinion, unless it is tightly
circumscribed, it will cause more instability. So I second Doug´s
opinion that Martin should channel his energy into writing a
recommendation to the ICZN. I will gladly sign it if asked.

On the other hand, Donat brings up an interesting problem. Let´s
accept, for now, that this fly´s HT is a picture. Shouldn´t one of
these be the HT? In addition, since images are manipulated (in the
honest sense of the word) for publication, we should have the original
images deposited in an archive (or two) with a DOI or tracking number
and digitally stamped to avoid accidental changes.

Dean, I know that there are issues with specimen preservation. Often I
find myself paralysed with the choices. But at least you have
something beyond pixels (and infinitely more informative). In any case
we will have to wait and see what happens.

Best

Jason