[Taxacom] Why Defend the Code?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Oct 9 18:13:06 CDT 2015

Putting to one side the personal attacks aimed at me, and the associated false claims (e.g., I do not have "no position", I have an honorary position), I actually agree with Mike that "our system of nomenclature is under attack", and that this is a problem to be solved. I disagree with Mike that the way to solve it is to mindlessly defend the Code as it is. The Code needs to change in order to solve this problem. Specifically, it needs to be simplified so that increasing numbers of people don't just throw their hands up in despair about it and walk away. Claiming that anyone with half a brain can easily understand the Code is only going to frustrate those perfectly intelligent people who find it to be more difficult. Make it easy to do nomenclature, and the problem will solve itself.

Stephen