[Taxacom] Why Defend the Code?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Oct 9 22:32:27 CDT 2015

You just can't resist, can you Scott? "Sincerity, I can fake that!" Anyway, Hoser really is an attention seeker, and all this must be really getting him off! I'm not entirely certain of the best way to solve the "Hoser problem", but allow me to comment on the published plea to the ICZN that you have co-authored with a whole bunch of others, including, I see, entomologist Manfred Jach (who has tried in vain for years to stop Dew Makhan from publishing, for similar reasons). The main point which makes me cringe is passages which fundamentally misunderstand zoological nomenclature! For example:

>An example of developing dual nomenclature is Hoser’s attempted resurrection of three rattlesnake genera (Aechmophrys, Caudisona, and Uropsophus) from the synonymy of Crotalus, along with the description of new genera and subgenera<

Resurrection of genera from synonymy is taxonomy, not nomenclature! In fact, it is just a matter of rejecting published synonymies (i.e. if the scientific evidence for a proposed taxonomic change is thought, by the reader, to be insufficient, then the reader has every right to ignore it - this is the difference between science and dogma!) The ICZN has absolutely no mandate to interfere in such matters (i.e. matters of validity as opposed to availability). Anybody is free to reject proposed subjective synonymies, or to accept them as they choose. This has nothing directly to do with the Code or the ICZN. There simply isn't a single "officially valid name" for any taxon, except by default. So, if you are going to go in mob-handed against Hoser, at least get your facts right!

Stephen