[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Geoffrey Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Oct 10 01:28:40 CDT 2015

Stephen

Yes, I'm pretty doubtful about that unambiguity too.

Sorry, your earlier pertinent comments I seem to have missed in the volume
of noise. The authors do make a feature of discussing 73.1.4 and the case
seems similar to the 2005 monkey in the forest in which the authors said
the holotype was the animal in the photo, just as the fly authors do here
("Holotype represented in photograph No. 7007").  Polaszek et al (in the
item I give the Doi for) then invoked 73.1.4 as justification for no
physical specimen with the following words "Article 73.1.4 provides an
opportunity for the description of new taxa without the necessity of
providing dead type specimens".

Now you say that above is irrelevant. Okay, then we fall back on how to
interpret the term extant in Art. 16.4.2, which the current authors get
around by saying their specimen is suddenly not extant - there it was in
the photo, but now the molecules which made it up no longer adhere - poof,
it's vanished, and 16.4.2 doesn't apply. Actually they say "a lost,
escaped, or purposefully released specimen is not “extant”.  Well, I
cannot agree with that claim.  At very least the authors have not provided
any proof of it.

Not sure of the relevance of your 'dead and preserved' comment.