[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 10 15:59:05 CDT 2015

Actually Rich, the nomenclatural weak point of what Steve & Neal have done with this fly is to interpret the Code in such a way that the holotype isn't an "extant specimen". That could be disputed, based on the EXACT possible meanings of those words, but even if we grant them their preferred interpretation, consider this: they don't really know the fate of that individual fly after it was photographed. Maybe someone collected it! Maybe it has been accessioned into a museum collection. If the accession date can be shown to be before the publication date of the description, then "we have a problem Houston!" That would mean that it was an extant specimen at the time the description was published, so Steve and Neal needed to make a statement of deposition of the holotype in order for the new name to be available! An unlikely, but possible scenario!

Cheers, Stephen