[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 10 16:14:36 CDT 2015

Hi Geoff,

It seems that Art. 73.1.4 is widely misunderstood, possibly because it may be a relic from long ago which seems ridiculous to modern readers. All it says is that if someone designates a photo of specimen X as a holotype, then the holotype is specimen X, rather than the photo of specimen X!

Anyway, I agree that Steve and Neal were a bit quick to dismiss their fly holotype as not being an "extant specimen", but it doesn't change things much. All they had to do was to make a statement along the lines of "in order to render this holotype designation Code compliant, we hereby state that we will deposit the specimen in the collection of the Bishop Museum". Then the new name would be an available name, regardless of whether the holotype is extant or not, and even though they can't possibly deposit it anywhere! In the absence of that statement of deposition, things are a bit "messy", but not "as messy as Nessy!" [sorry!]

Cheers,

Stephen