[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Geoffrey Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Oct 10 18:50:51 CDT 2015

Rich,

I see chapter 16 as advice for taxonomists looking at prior work. Advice
for taxonomists creating new taxa is in chapter 4 on availability. If
pictures-only are code compliant the permission to do this should be in
chapter 4. Maybe this will be in the next code, but this current code
doesn't allow it.

I totally agree with you that 73.1.4 applies to looking at existing types
and thus, I maintain, NOT to when new taxa are being created.  As Moser
said, it deals with a type now missing, but happily the situation is
recoverable somewhat because the original author also indicated it was the
type he had illustrated, and we now get what information we can from the
drawing.  The article shouldn't be used for new taxa. That is the lifting
out of context (of unfortunate now-convenient wording) that people are
uneasy with.

Geoff