[Taxacom] manuscript name question

Welter-Schultes, Francisco fwelter at gwdg.de
Sun Oct 11 07:42:31 CDT 2015

It seems to be necessary to modify the Code regulations around Art. 16.4.2.

However it is necessary to keep in mind the result of al these discussions, and to make sure that the group that will once obtain the task to elaborate a new edition of the Code will remember what has been said here. Otherwise the information will be lost. The working group will probably not be able to screen all the hundreds of long long Taxacom theads for eventual suggestions concerning shortcomings in current Code Articles, that may be hidden in between.

May I first propose that "hot" nomenclatural issues are discussed in the [iczn-list], or at least that someone deposits a notice there informing that in a certain Taxacom thread such a debate is ongoing. Not all [iczn-list] members also subscribe and follow the [Taxacom] list debated.

May I also propose to select a subject title in the [Taxacom] thread that points to the nomenclatural problem of the zoological Code that is actually discussed. Under the title of the current thread it is not at all clear that issues concerning Art. 16.4.2 and zoological holotype requirements are discussed in such a deep and significant form.

For depositing information to be remembered for the next Code edition Gary installed once a Wiki, the ICZN Wiki, which has collected many suggestions of the last years to improve the next Code editions.
http://iczn.ansp.org/wiki/FrontPage
In Nov 2008 I left a note there that Art. 16.4.2 should be modified, partly because of the reasons that have been developed in the current debate here. In Aug 2011 I left another note there that Frank Krell came up with some additional important thoughts in the [iczn-list] listserver. It is good to come repeatedly independently to the same results in the course of 7 years, but during a new discussion it would probably also be good to work with previously deposited information of the same topic.

Now I have left another note that right now additional points were discussed in the present Taxacom thread. For the lack of time however I have not been able to read all contributions of this thread and other long recent Taxacom threads, so if other nomenclatural topics concerning the next edition of the zoological Code were discussed, please inform me so that I can also provide links to those points in the ICZN Wiki.

Best wishes
Francisco

Francisco Welter-Schultes
Zoologisches Institut